[aisle] 811 vs. 808.1

Monica Caldicott monica.caldicott at d128.org
Wed Dec 7 15:25:05 CST 2022

Library Thing is always a help!
https://www.librarything.com/mds

I add 811.4, 811.5, 811.6 to help define when the poetry was published.

Currently reading *I Kissed Shara Wheeler
<https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/rest/v2/go/5999/details/107635>*
by
Casey McQuiston
Promoting books nominated for the 2023 Illinois Teen Choice Award
<https://www.d128.org/vhhs/students/student-services/library/2023-illinois-teen-choice-award>
Currently listening to *I'm the Girl
<https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/rest/v2/go/5999/details/107529>*by
Courtney Summers

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 2:30 PM Brooke Fleuette via AISLE <

> Brian's answer is the proper Dewey one for cataloging poetry--using 811
> for all books of poetry is just a decision I made at the local level.
>
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 2:21 PM Brooke Fleuette <
> fleuettebr at mercerschools.org> wrote:
>
>> We have recently dealt with this in our library.  I decided that the
>> students really didn't care whether the poems were in an anthology, all by
>> one author, or by an author in a different country. For simplicity's sake,
>> we made the call number for all poetry 811 and now they are discovering new
>> books that had been on the shelf the entire time.
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 1:47 PM Lala Lala via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> We are in the process of weeding and reorganizing our poetry sections.
>>> It seems a mess with the same "type" of poetry in two different places.
>>> Some books are very old in our collection, maybe that's why. But can anyone
>>> weigh in with advice on reorganizing Poetry within the Dewey system?
>>>

>>> Thank you!
>>> Lori
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lori McGreal
>>>

>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>

>> --
>> Brooke Fleuette
>> Mercer County High School Library
>>
>> Currently reading : * Love on the Brain* by Ali Greenwood
>> Currently listening to: *We Can't Keep Meeting Like This* by Rachel Lynn
>> Solomon
>>

> --
> Brooke Fleuette
> Mercer County High School Library
>
> Currently reading : * Love on the Brain* by Ali Greenwood
> Currently listening to: *We Can't Keep Meeting Like This* by Rachel Lynn
> Solomon

Pursuant to Illinois’ public records law, this electronic communication may
constitute a public record. Please be advised that this email may be
subject to monitoring and disclosure to third parties.