[aisle] Personal finance, quality sources and short search assignments

Lala Lala lalalibrary918 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 17:12:52 CST 2022

Hi!

I am a high school Librarian and a teacher has approached me with this
request:

"I teach Personal Finance and my philosophy in teaching the course is that
money managers need to know how to effectively seek out information online
as personal finance is not really something we master but a skill we
continue to develop and hone over a lifetime.

Therefore, I would like to have several short 'searches' students conduct
throughout the semester that coincide with our learning units.  For
example, I could see students working to answer a question, "what happens
to someone's debt when they die?"  - I am looking for them to develop
stronger skills at efficient research, identifying credible resources,
looking for biases (many of the resources we seek out are sponsored by
entities in the personal finance industry). I don't have a lot of time to
give to these activities and still get through our curriculum.  Hoping they
can be short activities of 20-30 minutes where we pose a question, work on
a strategy/skill, debrief and go back to our curriculum."

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar request or worked with
teachers on this topic and could recommend quality sources and searches?

Thank you in advance.

Lori
--
Lori McGreal