[aisle] In-text citation question

Tasha Squires tsquires at dg58.org
Fri Jan 21 14:03:09 CST 2022

Hi!

This is an interesting question. At first I thought, sure why not, but then
I started to wonder.

I came across this example that pretty much is almost like what you are
describing and at least according to this source and example, the student
would indeed cite it both times - after the paraphrasing and after the
quote, which is what I was leaning towards.

https://roughwritersguide.pressbooks.com/chapter/in-text-parenthetical-citations-apa/

I would rather a student overcite than under anyway!

Have a great weekend!

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 1:23 PM Lala Lala via AISLE <

> Hi!
> A teacher asked me a question I am not sure of and I would like to ask for
> your help, if you know, please.
>
> A student is paraphrasing another author's idea so she'd put an in-text
> citation at the end of that sentence. But in the very next sentence, she
> takes a direct quote from the same source. Is it correct to put another
> (the same) in-text citation at the end of the quote? Or is it advised to
> just put the in-text citation at the end of the quote?
>
> Thank you if you can help us.
>

> --
> Lori McGreal

Tasha Squires
O'Neill Middle School
School Librarian
tsquires at dg58.org
(630) 719-5815

Author of Library Partnerships: Making Connections Between School and
Public Libraries, 2009, Information Today, Inc.