[aisle] Class Reading Alternative Book Policy

Melissa Holman mholman at coslhs.org
Mon Jan 24 08:39:29 CST 2022

Good Morning.

There is a parent at our school that has objected to multiple large class
read assignments. No *Romeo and Juliet,* no *To Kill a Mockingbird*, no *Salt
to the Sea,* and no *The Crucible*. Up until *The Crucible *an alternative
book was accepted on the first try. However, finding an alternative to *The
Crucible *was a nightmare. It took over four books for an alternative to be
acceptable, and even then the teacher isn't all that pleased because the
book is a bit low in reading level. Currently, we do not have a set policy
for dealing with this type of situation, but we are looking into having one
because we know the parent is going to object to future class reading
assignments. Does anyone have a set policy for dealing with this situation?
Does anyone have a list of class reads and the alternative book offered?

Thank you for any help offered.

Melissa