[aisle] Help with Teacher Relationships Needed

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Tue Jan 25 13:18:49 CST 2022

Just remembered - Visual Literacy is a skill we are supposed to foster.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 12:27 PM sia paganis via AISLE <

> I skirt around that attitude with telling the kids to get one book that
> they like and makes their teacher happy and another of their choice.
>
> We do a graphic novel book study with 6th grade and talk about the
> vocabulary related to comics and how to read them. Teachers love it and I
> think they begin to understand the value of comics more. People are scared
> of what they don't know!
>

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022, 10:43 AM Mrs. Brunner via AISLE <
>
>> I actually had a teacher wanting her kids to branch out into other
>> genres, so we developed a book bingo.  As the kids read the books they can
>> mark them off their card.  This allows the kids to try new things and they
>> might even find something unexpected that they like!  It had a variety of
>> items, like a blue book, or a book with an alien, or book recommended by a
>> friend.  If you could get the teachers on board with the general idea, it
>> might help the kids safely try other genres, as they could defend a graphic
>> or picture book as being for the bingo game!  It was not hard to come up
>> with possible squares and there are many free bingo card generators.
>>
>> Could you also perhaps not count graphic in the number of books students
>> are allowed?  My kids are allowed 2 books generally, but maybe they could
>> have two books plus a graphic so the teachers would not feel like they are
>> reading them instead of longer print book, but along with . . . ?
>>
>> valerie
>>
>> Mrs. Brunner
>> Mt. Zion Jr. High Librarian
>> 315 S. Henderson
>> Mt. Zion, IL 62549
>> 217-864-2369
>> brunnerv at mtzschools.org
>>

>> *Be kind.  everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.*
>>
>> *"If there are no dogs in Heaven, I want to go wherever they went." Will
>> Rogers *
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 25, 2022 at 9:55 AM Leanne Brown via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Good morning,
>>>
>>> I am in need of some wisdom, if you have the time to share it.
>>>
>>> I am in my 7th year of being a librarian, and this year I am in a new
>>> school in my district. My administration is very supportive of students
>>> taking out whatever they would like to read, as long as they are doing some
>>> "stretching" and trying new things, challenging themselves, etc. My admin
>>> are great to work with.
>>>
>>> My struggle is with some staff members; they have some very specific
>>> ideas on what their students should check out, particularly avoiding "candy
>>> books," as they are called--books with lots of pictures. Some teachers even
>>> say picture books aren't welcomed, even though I have been educating on how
>>> some are made for older readers, such as our Bluestem selections. Graphic
>>> novels aren't particularly welcomed either, and my efforts to have the
>>> students take a balance of graphic novels with traditional novels has lead
> [...]

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School