[aisle] challenge to book and book talk

Dan Bostrom dan.bostrom at railslibraries.info
Wed Mar 16 11:56:26 CDT 2022

Hi Dawn,

I’m really sorry that you’re going through this. I’ve seen some really good responses in the AISLE email list. We are all here to help. I agree with pretty much everything said so far.

Definitely contact ALA. This kind of thing has to be documented. According to OIF, 82-97% of challenges go unreported. They can offer a ton of suggestions and ideas. They are pros and they can assist you through the process.

A few other resources:

RAILS also just announced our new Materials Challenge Pulse page: https://www.railslibraries.info/issues/263856. On that page, you’ll find best practices, example policies, and links to other resources.

I also wanted to point you a recent Book Riot article which had a really great material challenge response letter to Gender Queer: https://bookriot.com/gender-queer-coppell-texas

Dan

Dan Bostrom
Member Engagement Manager