[aisle] [EXT] Teacher complaint (and removal behind my back) about a book in my library

Donovan, Marie MDONOVAN at depaul.edu
Thu Mar 17 19:04:51 CDT 2022

Oh Laurie, I’m so sad to read this. I’ve shared this book with many a young child and each enjoyed it, every time. At first there was much discussion about ‘the naked boy!’ and how ‘he’ll get into trouble for messing with his mom’s things.’ But soon enough, those comments faded away and instead the focus (not mine, the children’s) was on how much fun Fred has trying something new on for size (literally and figuratively). By the time I turned to the two-page spread where the parents see Fred all dressed up, and it’s uncertain what they’ll say next, the children were wide-eyed with concern that Fred was going to get yelled at—simply because he’d gotten dirty from the make-up and might have ruined his mother’s clothes, as they explained when I prompted them.

If you haven’t seen Peter Brown’s blog about this book, I encourage you to read through it tonight, in preparation for tomorrow at school. His firm yet gentle responses to the negative posters, some of whose reactions were similar to that teacher’s from what you’ve described, might help you gather your thoughts and find some language to express them—or, at minimum, at least to know that Peter Brown’s got your back. 😊

Here’s the link to the blog. I’m sending you good vibes through cyberspace for the strength and wisdom you’ll need tomorrow. Your professionalism will shine through, I’m sure, based upon what you’ve written here. I hope you’ll let us know how it goes.

https://www.peterbrownstudio.com/fred-gets-dressed/

Sincerely, m

Marie Ann Donovan, Ed.D.
She/her/hers<https://www.mypronouns.org/>
Associate Professor of Early Childhood Teacher Education
Chair ad interim, Department of Counseling & Special Education
Representative, IL Board of Higher Education Faculty Advisory Council
2247 N Halsted Street, #303
Chicago, IL 60614
(773) 325-7591 [office; I’m in the office daily]
I’m reading: Kevin Boyle’s The Shattering: America in the 1960s.