[aisle] Author Visit with Fern Schumer Chapman

sia paganis siapaganis at gmail.com
Sat May 21 16:47:48 CDT 2022

Hello Fellow School Librarians!

I just wanted to share that we had an excellent in-person visit at our
school with Fern Schumer Chapman. This was our first in-person author visit
after two years of Zoom visits with various authors. I was a tad bit
nervous, many things have changed in the last two years,  but overall it
was an engaging experience for our students. Our school has been hosting
Ms. Schumer-Chapman for the past 6 years.

Our 8th grade language arts teachers use Is It Night or Day? as a "jigsaw"
book where the students read chapters in groups and present to the class.
This gives them a sense of background for the visit.

Fern's presentation relates very closely to our 8th graders study of the
Holocaust, but is also very relevant to many of our students' lives because
many of them are immigrants themselves. Fern and her husband Bruce host a
small group session with interested students and the discussions are
fascinating. Many of our students share details and personal connections to
her books and her mother Edith's story that they have not even shared with
their teachers. (Literally, we were crying when a new student from the
Ukraine was sharing their story).

Check out her website for all the programs offered:
https://fernschumerchapman.com/school-visits/programs/

Have a great end of your school year!
Sia