[aisle] Sewn Book Character Project

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Thu Nov 3 09:48:34 CDT 2022

Monster Doll Project:
Art Teacher reads *Go Away Big Green Monster* (by Ed Emberley) to the
kindergarteners and they talk about colors and monster traits and what
other traits they'd choose if they were making a monster.
 They had to fill out a paper with their monster's name and maybe a little
more info on it.  Then they make a drawing of a monster. They are told that
they are getting a surprise to go with their drawings, but didn't get any
specifics.  The JH kids looked at an artist, Dave Devries, who does
paintings based on children's drawings (LINK
<https://www.amusingplanet.com/2011/04/monster-engine-childrens-drawings.html>
to examples).  But our JH kids took the drawings and made a sewn, plush
version.  The art teacher shows them different sewing techniques but
students could also glue parts on.  Then all the kids get together to give
the projects to the little ones.

Hope this inspires ideas for you!

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD4

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:56 PM Neha Thakkar via AISLE <