[aisle] Dewey hacks?

Meredith Wodka lostin9books at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 08:08:15 CDT 2022

Yes, I do this in my library. I'm in a K-5 building and we try to use just
the first 3 Dewey numbers and then give a heading: Football, Planets,
Poetry, Cookbooks, etc.
We don't do it with every section. Just the ones the kids checkout the
most. It has helped them locate the books they are interested in more
quickly and it helps with shelving.
I know some people do this with biographies as well. They categorize by
what they are known for: scientist, inventor, explorer, music, sports, etc.
Whenever I am thinking of changing things in our library, I ask myself,
"How would the kids access this? Does it make sense for them?" This
usually helps as every library and community is a bit different.

Truly,

Meredith Wodka

On Thu, Nov 3, 2022 at 10:47 AM Brooke Fleuette via AISLE <