[aisle] Call Numbers

Kami Spatzek spatzekka at dist102.k12.il.us
Mon Nov 7 14:34:14 CST 2022

Hi!

I really like the direction of my library's organization and think the
students would agree too.  We are a K-6 school and have 13 sections, some
examples are listed below:

E-Everybody (picture books)
LL-Leveled Library (books leveled by publisher, ie Blastoff Readers, Ready
to Read, Scholastic etc)
F-Fiction (chapter books interest based 3-6)
JF-Juvenile Fiction (chapter books interest based K-3)
SF-Series Fiction (chapter books 3-6 in a series, suggested that they are
read in order)

We have also divided our informational texts into a Juvenile Nonfiction and
our Graphic Novels (regular and Juvenile)

Our 13 sections are listed in our Titlewave account with a drop down menu
so that the call number reflects the section when we purchase MARC records
and processing.

Hope you find something that works for you and your students!

On Mon, Nov 7, 2022 at 12:22 PM Keary Bramwell via AISLE <

> I work at a pk-8th grade school that has call numbers all over the place.
> I'm trying to come up with a more unified system and make it easier for the
> different grades to find books at their level. The current call
> numbers/categories for fiction are YA, FIC (this is mostly middle grade but
> also can be a catch all), E (picture books), READERS, and GRAPHIC NOVELS.
> But what's included in each area is all over the place and not super
> consistent. I'm trying to create a section for chapter books (i.e. Acorn
> series or Princess in Black) to help my kindergarten to second graders
> navigate finding them easier. Right now, some of them are in the READERS
> and some of them are in FIC, not to mention the few I found in E. Does
> anyone have a section like this and if so, what do you call it or use for a
> call number? Any other advice on how you organize your library when it
> serves such a large age span to help the younger kids navigate it is
> welcome! I am moving lots of my picture books into bins, but I have limited
> space.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Keary Bramwell
> School Librarian