[aisle] Genre-fying

Nichole Folkman nfolkman at hartem.org
Tue Oct 18 08:38:47 CDT 2022

I love all of this discussion so much. Thank you, everyone!

It also makes me feel like it would be wonderful to visit each others'
libraries!
Please know that if you are ever in central IL on a school day, feel free
to reach out and we can try to arrange for you to stop by my tiny school
libraries if you're interested!

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 8:22 AM Karrie Fisher via AISLE <

> I genrefy books by looking first at the description of the book from
> either the record or from the flap on the book.  I also look at the
> designation it's been given in GoodReads by people who love the book.  I
> sometimes ask kids what they think.
>
> I also have a five-second gut rule.  What does my gut tell me about where
> kids will find this book?  For instance, if a book is considered adventure
> and historical fiction, I'll put it in adventure because more kids
> gravitate towards adventure in my schools.
>
> Todd, I love what you are doing in your non-fiction section.  I sort of
> did that in mine, but kept the first three Dewey numbers and then changed
> the following information.  My next step is to create pictures to go along
> with the sections.  For instance:
>
> 599
> MAMMALS
> ELEPHANTS
>
> I eliminated the author names because when the books are on the
> shelves, very rarely do they stay in alpha order by author.  However, I
> want the kids to be at least familiar with the fact that other libraries
> have numbers.
>
> I love genrefying the library.  It's a lot of work, but the kids love it!
> and circulation goes way up!
>
> Search The Card Catalog
> <https://district31.follettdestiny.com/common/servlet/logout.do?tm=>
>
> Happily Ever After,
> Karrie Fisher
> District Librarian
>
> [image: Bitmoji Image]
> Winkelman Elementary School * 1919 Landwehr Road * Glenview, IL  60026 *
> 847-729-5650
>
> Field Middle School * 2055 Landwehr Road * Northbrook, IL 60062
> 847--272-6884
>

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 8:07 AM Brooke Fleuette via AISLE <
>
>> When genrefying, I start with the catalog record, and then also consider
>> the tags in Follett's Titlewave listing and also sometimes look at
>> GoodReads to see how readers have classified it.  I also seek student /
>> staff input if someone reads a book I am unsure about.  Don't be afraid to
>> change a book's genre listing if you feel a book isn't being discovered by
>> its ideal audience.  For example, after much discussion with my Rangers
>> Apprentice series fans, we moved it from fantasy to adventure.  My
>> voracious readers appreciate being part of the genre conversation and it
>> leads to some great book discussions!
>> I shelve series within each fiction genre.
>>
>> Brooke Fleuette
>> Mercer County High School Library
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 9:19 PM Nichole Folkman via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> What's your go-to resource for finding a book's genre when you're
>>> genre-fying your fiction? Do you mix your series in or keep them separate?
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>

>> --
>> Brooke Fleuette
>> Mercer County High School Library

> [...]

Thanks!
Nichole Folkman
K-12 Librarian/ STEAM Director
Creator and Director of Stags Read Community Literacy Program
Stags Read Twitter- @StagsRead
Creator of Postcard Field Trip Curriculum
www.postcardfieldtrip.weebly.com

Co-Chair of the AISLE Readers Choice Awards

Scholastic Bowl Coach
Antler/ Staglite Advisor

she/ her/ hers

Check out my projects at