[aisle] Library Games & Scavenger Hunt Ideas

Kim Jones kimjones at u-46.org
Tue Sep 20 12:04:01 CDT 2022

A super cool idea and activity! Thanks for sharing :-o)

*Kim Jones                                     *
*Library Para Professional*
*Channing Elementary #6*
*Elgin, IL*
*Phone 847-888-5185 ext. 6759      *
“I have a passion for teaching kids to become readers, to become
comfortable with a book, not daunted. Books shouldn’t be daunting, they
should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives
a terrific advantage.” - Roald Dahl
*Currently Reading:                   *

 [image: thumbnail]

On Tue, Sep 20, 2022 at 11:59 AM Jennifer Siemann via AISLE <

> I bought fake fiction and non-fiction books from Amazon that are book
> safes with 3-digit combination locks inside.
>
> For my full 50-minute library orientation with my reading freshmen
> included basic information regarding all things library related, and also
> how to search for books using the online catalog.  Following my
> presentation, the students were divided into teams, and students had to use
> their laptops, a handout, and basic recall to answer questions on a short
> quiz.  Once a team had every answer correct, they would be handed a card
> with the title of a book (from the book safes) and then they would have to
> find those books on the shelves.  It's rare that they already know the
> author, but it's an advantage to those who do!  Just when they think they
> are done, I tell them they aren't done and need to open the book.  Inside
> the book is an additional question that is a clue to unlocking the safe.
> For example, what are the first three digits of a biography book, what are
> the first three digits of a graphic novel, etc.  Inside the safe you can
> put candy, free passes, raffle entry tickets, sticker, or anything else you
> want.  My freshman LOVED this, and they were learning to navigate the
> online catalog as well as the physical space of the library to find books.
>
> Here is a link to one of those books for an example:
>
> Amazon.com: Real Paper Transfer Book Safe, Hollow with Secret Hidden
> Compartment, Combination Lock, 8.7"×6"×2" (Alice-Combination) : Tools &
> Home Improvement
> <https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Jewelry-Compartment-Combination-Alice-Combination/dp/B088K5GFLD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LCB1B07AIX4&keywords=book%2Bsafe&qid=1663693090&sprefix=book%2Bsafe%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-1&th=1>
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Jewelry-Compartment-Combination-Alice-Combination/dp/B088K5GFLD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LCB1B07AIX4&keywords=book%2Bsafe&qid=1663693090&sprefix=book%2Bsafe%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-1&th=1>
> Amazon.com: Real Paper Transfer Book Safe, Hollow with Secret Hidden
> Compartment, Combination Lock, 8.7"×6"×2" (Alice-Combination) : Tools &
> Home Improvement
> <https://www.amazon.com/Transfer-Jewelry-Compartment-Combination-Alice-Combination/dp/B088K5GFLD/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3LCB1B07AIX4&keywords=book%2Bsafe&qid=1663693090&sprefix=book%2Bsafe%2Caps%2C91&sr=8-1&th=1>
> Buy Real Paper Transfer Book Safe, Hollow with Secret Hidden Compartment,
> Combination Lock, 8.7"×6"×2" (Alice-Combination): Diversion Safes -
> Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
> www.amazon.com
>

> *Mrs. Jennifer Siemann*
> *Media Center Director*
> *Lincoln-Way East High School*
> *​*815-464-4535
> *"What a school thinks about it's library is a measure of what it thinks
> about education."*
> -Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education.

> [...]

U-46 Privacy Disclaimer

This message, including any attachments, may
contain confidential information or proprietary information, and is
intended for the person / entity to whom it was originally addressed. Any
use by others is strictly prohibited.