[aisle] Fern Schumer Chapman Visit

sia p milknhoneee77 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 14:01:56 CST 2023

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to echo the same sentiment about hosting Fern Schumer Chapman
author visit at your school that others have expressed recently.

We have been hosting Fern at our school for 8+ years. Everytime has been an
unforgettable experience. Her message of educating students about the
effects of hatred and her family's personal experience resonates with our
students and reinforces the importance of combatting anti-Semitism. Many of
our students and their families are first generation immigrants and Edith's
(Fern's mother) story of an  unaccompanied minor immigrating to the U.S.
brings history alive. We look forward to this visit every year!

We have many years of prepping the students for this visit and have
activities that connect to her books. This year our students created
'stumbling stones' based on Fern's book Stumbling on History. It was a
meaningful and only two period activity.

If you are looking for a presentation that addresses the teaching mandates
around the Holocaust and genocide, please consider hosting Fern at your
school. You can email me off list at siapaganis at gmail.com  for ideas to
prepare and how to host in an impactful way. (I have a great teaching team!)

Have a wonderful weekend.