[aisle] Intellectual Freedom Resource Sharing

Monica Caldicott monica.caldicott at d128.org
Wed Feb 15 12:03:05 CST 2023

Dear fellow #FReadom lovers,
With my fellow high school librarians Amy Wiggins and Melissa Aubin, I
wanted to share a positive outcome we had regarding our district's
procedures for the reconsideration of library materials
<https://www.d128.org/vhhs/students/student-services/library/library-media-center-materials-selection>
.
And, even more so, encourage you to ask for the same!

After attending several intellectual freedom sessions (including one
featuring Kristina Weber and ALA's Office of Intellectual Freedom) at
#AISLEd22, we proposed several edits to our recently updated procedures and
forms.

Following attorney review, the district agreed to 3 important edits:

   - reconsideration forms will only be accepted from residents of our
   school district
   - reconsideration form repeatedly emphasizes that the person making the
   challenge has read/watched the work in its entirety; the required signature
   again confirms that the entirety of the work has been read
   - reconsideration forms WILL NOT be accepted if the "complaint would
   require the district to engage in unlawful discrimination based on (variety
   of social factors) ..."

This last point is huge:
>> if the person making the complaint targets books solely because they
contain queer or anti-racist content, we will not accept the complaint. To
do so would violate our district's own equity, diversity, and inclusion
policies.

I wish you all of the best as you stand up for your students' freedom to
read!
📚 Currently reading *We Are the Light
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60321061-we-are-the-light>* by Matthew
Quick
🐩 Also reading* Where Have All the Birds Gone?
<https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/rest/v2/go/5999/details/107388>
*by Rebecca E. Hirsch
🎧 Currently listening to *Solito
<https://search.follettsoftware.com/metasearch/rest/v2/go/5999/details/108444>
*by Javier Zamora
⭐ Member of 2024 Lincoln Award Selection Committee, helping to choose the
20 books nominated for the Illinois Teen Choice Award; here is the 2023 list
<https://www.d128.org/vhhs/students/student-services/library/2023-illinois-teen-choice-award>

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 7:55 PM Intellectual Freedom AISLE via AISLE <