[aisle] Engaging Library Centers for 7th & 8th Grade

Michelle Glatt glattml at unit5.org
Wed Feb 15 15:44:44 CST 2023

We've been hosting Tutorial (think: small study halls) Retreats where
students engage with LEGOs, Keva planks, crafts, etc.
We change activities monthly and have included at least one service project
each year. Last year, both of my schools made braided t-shirt dog toys and
we donated them to a local animal rescue. We also made winter holiday
greeting cards to send to a nursing home. This year, one school made tied
fleece blankets to donate to Project Linus. The other school is currently
using sharpies and paint pens to decorate small tiles with encouraging
drawings and/or text to be donated to a local cancer center. A volunteer
there said some patients like to take a "thinking of you" token when
they're having a day when extra support is needed. I love providing outlets
for students to think beyond themselves and give back to their community.
Michelle

Michelle Glatt
Librarian
Chiddix and Evans Junior High Schools
Bloomington-Normal, IL
glattml at unit5.org
309-336-6545

Chiddix IMC calendar: http://tinyurl.com/chiddiximc
Evans IMC calendar: http://tinyurl.com/evansimc
U5JHS Book Trailers https://tinyurl.com/U5jhsyoutubechannel

*“*You should be especially nice to a librarian today, or tomorrow.
Sometime this week, anyway.
Probably the librarians would like tea. Or chocolates. Or a reliable source
of funding." - Neil Gaiman

On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 10:52 AM Coffman, Tricia via AISLE <