[aisle] reference section?

Christine Wilson wilson.christine at d46.org
Wed Feb 22 11:03:30 CST 2023

Our principal had us delete our reference section years ago. He was big on
"books are outdated, they should only do research on the internet". We were
able to keep our nonfiction section for pleasure reading and background
work, but the reference section is gone. Things like encyclopedia sets went
to recycling. I kept a few dictionaries, thesauri, etc. and moved them to
our regular collection. The rest I either moved to our regular collection -
the ones with animals and the solar system are very popular - and some,
that I knew would fall apart if they circulated, are on a bookshelf by our
casual reading area. Kids who for whatever reason aren't able to check out
a book are able to look at these books while their classmates are checking
out.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 10:19 AM Annette Davis via AISLE <

> Hello, all!
>
> I need your input and perspective and advice, please!  I am moving books
> around in my library (I got new shelves!).  What do I do with the books
> that were in the reference section?  Do I keep a reference section?  Do I
> integrate those books into the nonfiction section?  Are some books too old
> to keep?  Do you have a reference section?  Why or why not?  Any other
> ideas, suggestions, input?  I welcome any and all ideas!  Thank you!!!
>
> Annette Davis
> K-12 Media Director
> PCHS RtI Coach
> Itinerant Teacher for Deaf/Hard-of-Hearing
>
> Putnam County High School
> 402 E. Silverspoon Ave.
> Granville, IL 61326
> 815-882-2800, option 4
> davisa at pcschools535.org

#StaySafe

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School