[aisle] PERA Student Growth in Middle School

Loretta Burke ltburke at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 10 00:26:51 CST 2023

 Hope this helps.  In my former district, all SLMPs were assessed with the same criteria as classroom teachers for PERA (per union contract).  Student growth was 50% of our Evaluation.  I learned about this resource (TRAILS:  Tool for Real Time Assessment of Information Literacy Skills)  while in Library School (2003-2005).   I used this as a guide to create my Student Growth Plan.  Here's the link:   https://trails-archive.org/
I didn't have to re-invent the wheel, and the assessments and resources can guide you in your teaching. I worked with another teacher who was happy to hand over his class once a week!  Students don't necessarily have to be doing a full-fledged research project, but you can use a Unit or Career Exploration to incorporate information literacy skills.
I only met with the students for one class period for six weeks (required timeframe to show student growth).  You can test students' information literacy skills by category or use a general test as your pre-test.  I used the results to guide my teaching when I met with the classes each week.  On or immediately after the 6th class, I gave a post-test and then I had real data ready for my evaluation.  My administrator was very impressed with my plan, with its emphasis on students' development of strong information literacy skills.