[aisle] Student Confidentiality and Library Records

Dawn Brunschon dbrunschon at district100.com
Mon Jan 23 11:55:25 CST 2023

I know this conversation has come up several times.  One response has been
to turn off student history in your catalog.  I'm not a huge fan of that
option.  We have students ask if they've checked out certain books before
(elementary).  I know I used it during Covid as well when students were not
in the schools.

>From what I've gathered it's also an all or nothing situation.  You
can't pick and choose the schools you want to turn it off and leave the
rest.

I'm really interested in this conversation as I feel the need to protect my
students' privacy especially at the middle and high school levels.

Dawn

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 3:10 PM Sara Bell via AISLE <

> [...]
>>>
>>> I would love to learn more on this topic as well.
>>>
>>> Since a large portion of my background is in public libraries, I don't
>>> have an expert opinion. But it was my understanding that if the
>>> students are minors, school records can not be withheld from parents.
>>> School library accounts would also be school records, correct?
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 10:49 AM Anita Beaman via AISLE <
>>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>> Our district is updating our library policies and will be having a
>>> discussion about student privacy and library records at our next meeting.
>>> There was some disagreement about this topic at our last meeting and I'd
>>> like to have some input to share at our next one.
>>>
>>> According to the Illinois Library Records Confidentiality Act,
>>> <https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1004&ChapterID=16>
>>> libraries cannot make records available "to the public."  Some on our
>>> committee are arguing that making them available to parents isn't "the
>>> public."  Others feel it's important to keep student records private, even
>>> from parents.
>>>
>>> We're a K-12 district, so this complicates matters since different
>>> arguments can be made for different age groups.
>>>
>>> We've discussed this on the listserve before but I'm still gathering
>>> info.  How do you handle sharing this information and what grade level is
>>> your building?
>>>
>>> Any online resources you know if discussion this are also welcome!
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> --
>>> "There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence so
>>> important, as living within your means."--Calvin Coolidge
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>>
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>>

>>> --
>>> "There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence so
>>> important, as living within your means."--Calvin Coolidge
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>>

>>> --
>>> *Tad Andracki*
>>> (he/him *or *they/them)
>>> Middle School Librarian and Chair | Rowley Library
>>> University of Chicago | Laboratory Schools
>>> 1362 East 59th Street  |  Chicago, IL  60637
>>> Phone: (773) 702-2091
>>> tandracki at ucls.uchicago.edu
>>>

>>> --
>>> "There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence so
>>> important, as living within your means."--Calvin Coolidge
>>>

>>> --
>>> "There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence so
>>> important, as living within your means."--Calvin Coolidge
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>>

>> --
>> "There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no independence so
>> important, as living within your means."--Calvin Coolidge

*Dawn Brunschon (she/her)*
*Library/Media Director*
*Belvidere CUSD 100*
*815-547-4362*
*dbrunschon at district100.com <dbrunschon at district100.com>*

*"Banning books gives us silence when we need speech.  It closes our ears
when we need to listen.  It makes us blind when we need sight."*

~Stephen Chbosky, author of The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
Currently Reading
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=reading_link&utm_source=email_signature>
[image: Book Cover]
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_destination/21348573?utm_medium=cover&utm_source=email_signature>
[image: Goodreads Logo]
<https://www.goodreads.com/?utm_medium=gr_logo&utm_source=email_signature>Get
your own email signature
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/email_signature_instructions?utm_medium=gyo_link&utm_source=email_signature>

--

Pursuant to Illinois’ public records law, this written communication may
constitute a public record which is available to the public and media upon