[aisle] biography labeling within nonfiction

Brooke Fleuette fleuettebr at mercerschools.org
Wed Jan 25 13:27:09 CST 2023

Follow up question--for those of you who shelve biographies among the rest
of the nonfiction, do you then revert back to the author's name, or keep
the biography subject's name so that all books about an individual stay
together?

Thank you for all ideas you have shared so far--I am overhauling the
organization of my nonfiction this year, and hearing what others do helps
me a great deal!

On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 9:09 AM Karrie Fisher via AISLE <

> I am in the process of recataloging my biographies.  I'm using the basic
> call number, a category descriptor and the person's last name.  For
> instance:
>
> 921
> INVENTORS
> EDISON
>
> They are then on the shelf in alpha order by category, i.e., ACTIVIST,
> INVENTORS, SPORTS.
>
> It's a huge job but the kids like it so far!
>
> Search The Card Catalog
> <https://district31.follettdestiny.com/common/servlet/logout.do?tm=>
>
> Happily Ever After,
> Karrie Fisher
> District Librarian
> [image: reading]
> Winkelman School * 1919 Landwehr Road * Glenview, IL  60026
> 847-729-5650
>
> Field Middle School * 2055 Landwehr Road * Northbrook, IL 60062
> 847--272-6884
>

> On Wed, Jan 25, 2023 at 8:54 AM Brooke Fleuette via AISLE <
>
>> My biographies have always been housed in a separate section, but due to
>> frequent patron requests, I am planning to re-shelve them within their
>> corresponding nonfiction section instead (i.e. basketball biographies with
>> basketball nonfiction.)  For those who already do this, do you add anything
>> to the call number to indicate it is a biography, or just use the
>> nonfiction number?  Before I start dismantling the section and making new
>> labels, I wanted to check here first for advice.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> --
>> Brooke Fleuette
>> Mercer County High School Library
>>
>> Currently reading : * Charleston and Savannah* by Jim Morekis
>> Currently listening to: *We Can't Keep Meeting Like This* by Rachel Lynn
>> Solomon
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

Brooke Fleuette
Mercer County High School Library

Currently reading : *This Place is Still Beautiful* by Xixi Tian