[aisle] Feedback on SORA

Sara Bell sbell at dunlapcusd.net
Tue Jan 31 10:26:50 CST 2023

I have been working on this same topic lately.

According to the rep I met with last week, SORA is free if your public
library agrees to share and allow your students to single sign on. However,
in the RAILS service area, the ADML consortium who manages Overdrive (Sora)
has not voted to allow it yet, so our public library can not just agree, we
need ADML to agree. I am in the process of writing an email to them to
request it, and would encourage others to do the same. They are aware of
it, but it hasn't been approved yet, from what I understand.

I like eRead, but in the new fee structure, my eRead IL fees are going up
700% and my school district will pay the same as a public library with a 2
million dollar operating budget. That seems troublesome when my families
already pay taxes to fund Overdrive through our public library, we just
need permission to access it at school. I know we would gladly do both, as
long as it is not cost prohibitive.

I am afraid that ADML will be pressured not to allow sharing with schools
while they move out of RAILS, and I hope since schools make up more than
50% of RAILS members, we can make our voice heard. If you are interested in
sharing your opinions regarding ADML access or wish to learn more, here
<https://alsi.sdp.sirsi.net/client/en_US/RSAwebsite/?rm=ADML0%7C%7C%7C1%7C%7C%7C0%7C%7C%7Ctrue>
is a link to the ADML site. And the director is Kendal Orrison. His email
is kendal.orrison at railslibraries.info.

On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 9:53 AM Jacob Roskovensky via AISLE <

> We have it....  Books are not cheap to put into it.   I think the
> librarian I replaced went with it because the Public library has overdrive
> through Illinois Heartland.   It is a great thing if you have access to
> overdrive with Heartland...   Sora seems to be easy to use.  We have it
> integrated with our google credentials.
>
> I think the most cost efficient way of doing things if you are stand
> alone, is going into the RAILS ebook consortium.
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 9:26 AM Katherine Udstuen via AISLE <
>
>> My District is also interested in hearing about SORA from anyone who uses
>> it.
>>
>> Mrs. Katie Udstuen
>> Librarian, Publicity Director, Yearbook Sponsor
>> Tinley Park High School
>> Bremen School District 228
>> 708-342-8275
>>

>> Currently Reading:
>>

>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 9:19 AM Bergeron, Annie via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> My district is looking into subscribing to SORA. Anyone have feedback or
>>> experience using it?
>>>
>>> Feel free to email me off list (abergeron at sd206.org)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Annie Bergeron