[aisle] Elementary librarians - Gathering information - can really use your help

Rebecca Dougherty rebecca.dougherty at schechter.org
Fri Mar 10 09:11:19 CST 2023

Thank you for asking this! This is very informative and interesting to see
the comparisons.

Thank you,
Rebecca Dougherty, MLS
Librarian
she, her, hers

City / District / School: Solomon Schechter Day School (K8 private school,
about 400 total students)
Grades (e.g., K-5): K8
Hours of school day: 8:10-3:30, full periods (5-8) are 57 minutes long,
half periods (K-4) are 27 minutes long
Full day or half day Kindergarten: Full Day
Times of specials - as shown below

*Special*

Art

Music

PE

STEM

Library

Other

*Times per week*

*Total time*

We have Art, Music, Dance, and Library on the same K-2 Specials rotation.
Those 4 specials see K-2 once a week for 27 minutes. 3rd and 4th grade have
Art, Music, Dance, Library, Makerspace, and Innovation Studio (coding) on
10-11 week rotations twice a week also for 27 minutes, except Makerspace
and Innovation Studio (coding) see 3rd and 4th grade for 57 minutes. We see
5/6 and 7/8 once a week for 57 minutes where we basically babysit students
while their teachers have release time. This is my second year at this
school, and we are in the middle of ISACS accreditation, so we are
reflecting on how to best meet our students' needs. I find this schedule
very confusing and not the most effective use of my time with students.
None of the specials at our school provide grades or any information on
report cards.

On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 8:43 AM Becky Johnson via AISLE <