[aisle] Update on EPPL advocacy - help requested

Vicki Pietrus victoriapietrus at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 12:35:06 CDT 2023

Hi everyone,
Thank you to the school librarians who reached out to support our library
board races in Elmwood Park. I am reaching out with an update.

Last night, community members and former employees of my public library
showed up to protest a board meeting that was canceled last minute because
the current library board was unwilling to face their constituents after months
of mismanagement and intentional dismantling
<https://bookriot.com/elmwood-park-public-library/> of a dedicated library
staff. Please listen to what community members had to say
<https://www.facebook.com/8624386/videos/930720888064583/>, including an
employee of color who was the victim of obvious workplace discrimination.
Consider sharing the protest video or the EPPL Book Riot article (both
linked) with anyone you know who cares; it would also be helpful if you
forwarded this email to anyone you know working in public or school
libraries who has capacity for advocacy at this time.

Much of what folks said last night resonated with me as a school librarian
who has been sidelined and ignored in the past, despite my teaching and
library experience and obvious passion for equitable literacy
opportunities. I have spoken to other school librarians recently who have
felt the same and are facing unprecedented amounts of book challenges,
ignorant community members who have a hateful agenda, and well-funded,
well-organized candidates for local office (school AND library board) who
do not have the right priorities.

For anyone else who lives nearby or can offer support, please consider
signing up to canvass this weekend
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdCudvdkBtLQZXB-B0yLUDetWTTpgG0iCcpZ9xQedR2l-z4Tg/viewform?usp=sf_link>
or share my statement with any like-minded folks
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cyMBrCKK4XjZdhK28PUDr9quZ0Z9JqAd6daW6GN67is/edit?usp=sharing>you
know who live nearby and will support the folks I am voting for for school
and library board. I've also CCed Mike Monahan
<https://www.monahanforlibrary.com> and Jack Bower
<https://www.jackbowerforelmwoodparklibrary.com>, the two candidates I am
organizing for, if you'd like to get in touch with them directly.

Thank you all,
Vicki