[aisle] Scary Books for Teenagers?

Brenda Glenn bglenn at emsd63.org
Mon Mar 20 13:58:18 CDT 2023

The Nest by Oppel. It's got a lower lexile than teen books and even though
it's meant for middle grades, I was seriously scared/creeped out.

Brenda Glenn
Teacher Librarian
Washington School
bglenn at emsd63.org

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 1:54 PM Michelle Glatt via AISLE <

> I'll second Daniel Kraus. Definitely read *Bent Heavens, *Tad--it's every
> bit as horrifying as the other two.
>
> If you are looking for horror-movie-type books:
> Enter the Dark House (and sequel) by Laurie Stolarz
> Clown in a Cornfield (and sequel) by Adam Cesare
>
> Tiffany Jackson's *White Smoke* and *The Weight of Blood *are
> terrific--the latter is an homage to *Carrie.*
>
> My new favorite horror author writes lots of coming-of-age stuff, but it
> is categorized as "adult": Stephen Graham Jones. His works are powerful and
> beautifully written and his "other job" is professor of English.
>
> A person to follow for more ideas and info: Becky Spratford (@raforall on
> Twitter). She literally writes the book on horror in libraries, and she is
> a founder of *Summer Scares,* a library initiative that selects three (of
> each) adult, teen, and middle grade books to celebrate every summer. She is
> also heavily involved in the Horror Writers Association, which administers
> the Bram Stoker Award, which has a young adult category every year.
>
> Michelle
>

> Michelle Glatt
> Librarian
> Chiddix and Evans Junior High Schools
> Bloomington-Normal, IL
> glattml at unit5.org
> 309-336-6545
>
> Chiddix IMC calendar: http://tinyurl.com/chiddiximc
> Evans IMC calendar: http://tinyurl.com/evansimc
> U5JHS Book Trailers https://tinyurl.com/U5jhsyoutubechannel
>
> *“*You should be especially nice to a librarian today, or tomorrow.
> Sometime this week, anyway.
> Probably the librarians would like tea. Or chocolates. Or a reliable
> source of funding." - Neil Gaiman
>

> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 12:12 PM Tad Andracki via AISLE <
>
>> Daniel Kraus writes truly terrifying horror for teens. *Scowler* and
>> *Rotters* are the ones I know best, but *Bent Heavens* looked pretty
>> scary, as well.
>>
>> All best,
>> Tad
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 11:34 AM Jennifer Bromann-Bender via AISLE <
>> aisle at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> What scary books would you recommend for teenagers that might actually
>>> scare them?  The last one the student read was House by Peretti.
>>>
>>> Jennifer Bromann-Bender
>>> Librarian
>>> Lincoln-Way West High School
>>> 21701 S. Gougar Rd.
>>> New Lenox, IL 60451
>>> 815-717-3551
>>> jbromann-bender at lw210.org
>>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>>
>>> https://www.aisled.org/
>>>

>> --
>> *Tad Andracki*
>> (he/him *or *they/them)
>> Middle School Librarian and Chair | Rowley Library
>> University of Chicago | Laboratory Schools
>> 1362 East 59th Street  |  Chicago, IL  60637
>> Phone: (773) 702-2091
>> tandracki at ucls.uchicago.edu
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

> [...]

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments may contain
confidential and privileged information that is protected by law. The
information contained herein is transmitted for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient or designated
agent of the recipient of such information, you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, copying or retention of this email or the
information contained herein is strictly prohibited and may subject you to
penalties under federal and/or state law. If you received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete this
email. The Administration reserves the right to monitor any and all
communications delivered to and/or from this network.