[ISLMA-Share] Library renovation

Mon Apr 4 20:33:41 CDT 2016

We have carpet tiles and I like them!  They shifted a bit when we put the
shelves back into place, but nothing a little adjustment couldn't fix.
Now, if there is spill or a stain or a gross student bodily fluid...we can
change a few carpet squares and we are back to new again!

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I agree.  Our shelves are all low (chest height) and shelving is hard on
> the back.  We do tilt the books spine up on the low shelves, though, so
> students can easily see the call numbers on the bottom shelf.
>
> From: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <
> islma at list.railslibraries.info>
> >
> Date: Monday, April 4, 2016 at 12:41 PM
> To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <
> islma at list.railslibraries.info>
>
> Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Library renovation
>
> Be sure to think about sound when you choose between carpet and hard
> surface flooring.  Things could get a lot louder with hard surface...
>
> Chris Wilson
>
> On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> I currently have low shelving for a 9-12 grade space and I really don’t
>> like it. Teens do not like searching low stacks for things. Shelving books
>> is hard on knees and backs and big projects like inventory and weeding is
>> downright painful.
>>

>> I make use of all my space on top of my shelving to display anything and
>> everything and that is primarily what kids check out. It’s right at their
>> eye level and easy to browse.
>>

>> If possible, I would recommend NOT having low shelving.
>>

>> *Kristen Rademacher*
>>
>> Librarian
>>
>> Eco Club Director
>>
>> 1 Book 1 Marist Director
>>
>> Marist High School <http://www.marist.net/academics/arclibrary/>
>>
>> 773.881.5356
>>
>> @1Book1Marist
>>
>> rademacher.kristen at marist.net

Sincerely,
Amy Hamernick
Teacher Librarian
Century Jr. High
@AhamernickCJH
#CenturyWildcats

"If we always do what we've always done,
we will get what we've always got."
~Adam Urbanski~