[ISLMA-Share] News from ISLMA President, Angie Green

Tue Apr 5 10:52:12 CDT 2016

Hello Everyone!

I hope this email finds you well as you are in the middle of testing and
gearing up for year end activities. I have some information I need to pass
along to each of you. Please feel free to share with everyone you know that
would be interested in School Library Issues in Illinois. The more people
that are aware the better.

1.  I have been in contact with Melina Wright of the Illinois State Board
of Education discussing the ESSA (Every Student Succeeds Act). My goal in
this discussion is to make sure that school librarians have a voice in the
statewide implementation of ESSA. I will remain in contact with Melina to
ensure Illinois School Libraries are not forgotten. But, what can you do?
Well, this month, ISBE is planning several Listening Tours throughout the
state where they will be gathering information by asking essential
questions regarding ESSA and its implementation. I am asking for as many
school librarians as possible to attend at least one of the listening tours
to make sure that all stakeholders hear the importance of school librarians
and how ESSA can help provide quality school library programs. Here is the
link on the ISBE website that will provide you with the locations and
further information. http://www.isbe.net/ESSA/default.htm
<http://www.isbe.net/ESSA/default.htm>.

2.  You have probably seen an email regarding the ISLMA School Library
Staffing Project. It is imperative that you complete the short survey as
soon as possible. ISLMA is in the process of developing an Advocacy Plan
and we need to see the big picture of Illinois school library staff. If you
have not already completed the quick survey, please go to
bit.ly/islmastaffing to do so. This data will help us advocate for
certified school librarians in every school in Illinois.

3.  I have just received word from American Library Association through the
AASL Affiliate Assembly that a new tool has been released for School
Library Month that seems to be an excellent resource to share out stories!
The School Library Snapshot Tool: A New Way to Share Our Stories is a
fillable infographic that allows individual librarians to create a
graphical representation of how your library aligns with provisions in the
Every Student Succeeds Act or ESSA. Check it out here:
http://www.ala.org/advocacy/advocacy-university/school-library-resources/school-library-snapshot

4.  For those of you that have volunteered to help ISLMA in some capacity
with a special project, I'll be contacting you shortly through email as we
will begin updating Linking for Learning. If you are interested in serving
ISLMA in this capacity, you can still volunteer by going to:
https://www.islma.org/VolunteerForm.htm and completing the form. Thank you
so very much!

As always, if you have questions or concerns, please feel free to contact
me at islmapresident at gmail.com or via my personal cell number at
309-397-1087. I am happy to speak to you!

Angie

Angela L. Green, President
Illinois School Library Media Association (ISLMA)
PO Box 1326
Galesburg, IL 61402-1326
Personal Cell: 309-397-1087

ISLMA's Mission:* "**To empower the school library information profession
by fostering leadership, education, and collaboration with other
educators."*