[ISLMA-Share] Monarch & Bluestem award feedback

Fri Aug 12 19:22:52 CDT 2016

I read 1 Monarch book every week in K-1 storytime starting in September. We
have high school athletes who come in to read to grades 2 and 3 every week,
and I always include Monarch titles in the books I pull for 2nd grade.

I  write Bluestem synopses for classroom teachers, indicating which ones I
think would be good read-alouds. I also book talk the titles to 3rd and 4th
grade classes in September - in the library, in the classroom, class by
class or a larger group, whatever the teachers think works best.

Chris Wilson

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 8:18 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Dear Allison,
>
> Monarch's is a big deal at our school. I introduce the newest list to
> the teachers at the beginning of the year. Each class gets a complete
> set of books (thanks to some generous donors). Teachers decide how
> some of the books fit into their curriculum.
>
> I have a Mini-Monarch assembly each month between October and
> February. The assembly lasts 20 minutes from 8:30-8:50 am before the
> first class period. The Preschool-4th grade is invited, but anyone
> can come. Two books are shared. I use a document camera to project the
> illustrations on the gym wall and read the story. If there is a human
> interest story that goes along with it, I will share it. (Example: The
> Lost Cat. I showed a couple of news stories where pets found their
> owners after being lost). One class always acts out the poetry book on
> the list. There have been guest readers. When there are bilingual
> stories, I always invite a native speaker to read with me.
>
> I have several activities geared to the 1-3 grades. Examples are a
> silhouette scavenger hunt (I learned at an ISLMA conference) and a
> match the book to the author/illustrator challenge. Students also get
> a stamp for each book they read/hear. Those who read/hear all twenty
> get a nice butterfly bookmark.
>
> In February, students start campaigning for their favorite books.
> Students make campaign posters and videos. The videos are shown at a
> special campaign assembly the Monday before the election.Students vote
> and one of the kindergarten classes tabulates the votes and makes the
> announcement to the school.
>
> Hope this is helpful,
> Marsha
>

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 11:19 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I'm making the move to elementary school and I need to pick everyone's
> brain
> > with how you facilitate both programs at your school.
> >
> > With the Monarch, do you read them aloud? Do you wait to read them until
> > like after winter break so they can remember the titles?
> >
> > With bluestem, do you book talk them to each class? Since that is more
> > independent, do you do a game board with them? Something else? Do
> something
> > with Google Forms?
> >
> > If you wouldn't mind sharing anything, I would appreciate it!
> >
> > Allison
> > reader4evr at gmail.com
> >

> > --
> > Sent from mobile device. Please excuse any spelling or punctuation
> errors.

> Marsha Stewart
> Librarian
>
> The Ancona School
>
> 4770 S. Dorchester Ave.
>
> Chicago, IL 60615
>
> mstewart at anconaschool.org
>
> --
>
> ------------------------------
> [...]

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson,  Media Assistant
Avon Center School
CCSD 46

*Home of the Novas *
1617 N. Route 83
Round Lake Beach, IL  60073

847.543.5509
wilson.christine at d46. <http://wilson.christine@d46.k12.il.us>org

*Please consider the environment before printing this email *