[ISLMA-Share] Rain Reign on Bluestem

Thu Mar 17 19:20:07 CDT 2016

I just finished Rain Reign and loved the book, but was thinking it was more
appropriate for middle school than elementary. Then I noticed that it is on
the 2017 Bluestem list.
Here is my dilemma: In the book it isn't only students who use the word
"retard", but Rose's father also uses it when telling the school that he
doesn't want Rose in a class with retards. I'm not sure third graders are
mature enough to understand that Rose's father is dysfunctional and that
his statement is inappropriate for an adult. I feel this would be a good
teachable moment if reading it aloud, but not sure if most kids would
understand it if reading the book independently. So I'm not sure if I
should have the book in my K-5 library since I'm uncomfortable with it.
BTW I had a parent upset about the word being used in a Hank Zipzer book.
After talking with her about the context of the use, I refered her to the
district procedure she could go through for challenging materials. She
didn't take things further.
​Is anyone else concerned about student maturity level for this topic?​

--
Diane Kispert
LRC Director