[ISLMA-Share] Abe incentives

Thu Sep 8 12:16:02 CDT 2016

We have a number of English teachers that use the Abe list as their outside reading choice list for their classes. As part of their assignment throughout the school year, they have to read at least 4 titles by the voting day, submit reviews for each titles to the teacher (and then the Destiny catalog) and vote via a Google form on voting day. It guarantees me at least 60 votes (this year closer to 90) from the classes.

I also do a challenge with my book club kids. If any of them can read all 20 titles and submit well written reviews into our catalog before the voting deadline, they can vote and receive a cash prize. This was so successful with my book club kids that they got their friends involved and now I have opened it up to all the students. It get around another 20-30 votes at least through that challenge.

In my whole school, I am barely scratching the surface with participants but it is what I am able to do for now. I hope to get closer to 200 votes this year through programs, book clubs and classes.

Kristen Rademacher
Librarian
Eco Club Director
1 Book 1 Marist Director
Marist High School<http://www.marist.net/academics/arclibrary/>
773.881.5356
@1Book1Marist
rademacher.kristen at marist.net<mailto:rademacher.kristen at marist.net>

From: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 12:03 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Abe incentives

On voting day, we serve breakfast in the LMC for the voters and they are able to select a brand-new book from the prize box.  We fill up the prize box with donations and books from Scholastic sales.  In the past, students who read all the nominated titles have received a shopping bag filled with candy and free books from the prize box.

It's simple, but it works because our Abe readers want more books of their own anyway and we don't have a bookstore in town.

Ann Marie Jinkins
Librarian
Rochelle Township High School
1401 Flagg Road