[ISLMA-Share] How to let teachers know about the new materials in the library

Tue Aug 8 14:51:29 CDT 2017

This isn't ideal because I do it only one time per year--but I found (after
many years of trying) that just giving teachers lists of titles (regardless
of the form) just didn't work.  Most of them simply did not look at them.

What I now do is take one day during National Library Week to pull all of
the new books that were added to the library during that year and spread
them out on the tables (divided by category--fiction, history, science,
etc.).   I add a little bribery to encourage teachers and staff to
visit--lots of treats and a drawing for giftcards.  I usually have at least
a few of those visitors give me lists of books that they want to check out
at the end of that day.  I had a record number of visitors this year.
There are administrators who come in to browse on that day who are often
only in the library when the school board meets in here for their meetings.

Getting the books pulled (I do that) and put away (my assistant's job) is a
pain--but it's definitely more successful for me than lists.  I've had a
few teachers tell me that they really look forward to those new-book
display days and to the days when I put out the books that have been weeded
and are looking for new homes (I just have to be sure that no one mixes up
those two different events!!).

Deb Bachfischer
Metamora High School

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library