[ISLMA-Share] Book Checkout

Thu Aug 24 12:31:52 CDT 2017

Hi..I worked in a K-6 building for 7 years.  The fiction section was divided between easy reads and regular reads.  The only time I really limited kids was when I saw second graders trying to check out Twilight because it was “cool.”.  A lot of time school libraries get stuck with AR/MAP/..levelling programs and are directed to use them by administrators  as organization management systems and book choice devices.  This might be appropriate in a class room library, but I don’t feel it fits a library setting where students  should be practicing the self selection skills they learn in reading class.  We did encourage the kids to use the “5 finger” test  which allowed them to make their own judgements.
5 finger poster
hope this helps
Marianne O’Keefe
Retired but still volunteering 😊
Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:44 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Book Checkout

I have a question regarding the books students check out.  This is my second year as a teacher/librarian in a K-5 school library.  The previous librarian had a "system" to limit the books students were allowed to check out based on their reading level (as determined by Accelerated Reader/STAR testing) as well as the type of book, itself.  For example, you must be in third grade to check out Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and in fourth grade to get Goosebumps books.  I understand the importance of students checking out "just right" and age appropriate material, but this system is a bit difficult to manage (particularly with me being new to the position).  It is hard to keep track of what books students can/can't check out.  Do other school libraries manage which books students check out?  If so, how do you do so?  Thank you!

Stephanie White
--
Stephanie White
Elementary Librarian