[ISLMA-Share] Chromebook cart management question

Thu Dec 7 08:23:36 CST 2017

Our policy (don't know how many of them actually do this) is that teachers
count the computers on the cart when they get it and they should make sure
the same number of computers are there when they are finished.  Our tech
department can determine the last person that logged into a specific
computer.

We had a rash of broken keys for a while, and we asked that teachers
visually check each computer as the students are replacing them on the cart.

I have a cart in the library just for individual check out to students. I
have them barcoded like a book.  Almost all the checkouts are for one hour
usage, mostly in the library, but occasionally a teacher will send a
student down to bring one back to class.  I do not let them go to study
halls or homerooms (or lunch).  Students need a pass to come to the library
to use the computers during those times.  I probably check 100 computers in
and out during the day.  We have a permission slip that has to be signed by
a teacher if students want to take a computer home overnight. This actually
happens very rarely.  We are also BYOD, so many students use their own
devices.

Things are complicated for us, because right now Freshmen and Sophomores
are 1:1.  Juniors and seniors are not.  So in the next couple of years,
things should get a lot better in the library, not having to keep track of
all these computers.

Annette Mills

School Librarian

Triad High School

703 E. Highway 40

Troy, IL 62294

annette.mills at tcusd2.org

(618)667-5409x7120

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 1:53 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library