[ISLMA-Share] Assistants hired as teachers

Fri Feb 10 12:37:27 CST 2017

I would advise her, if her heart was in the classroom, to apply outside her
current district. Do everything she can in her current position to show she
is going above and beyond, and see if there are ways she can work more
closely with classroom teachers. This will all help with letters of
recommendation.

If there are no openings in your district, there is nothing you nor she can
do about that. Several things could happen: she could get a teaching job
and you lose a great assistant, she doesn't get a teaching job and you keep
your great assistant, She gets a teaching job but hates it... that's a
tricky one, because she may not get her assistant position back.

My mom's advice has been to imagine the worst that can happen. If you can
live with that possibility, then go for it. If you can't, then stay where
you're at.

I wish her the best! My assistant was in the same position for a few years.
Then last year our district eliminated the position of library assistant
when she was 7 months pregnant. She chose to stay home with her baby.

Pam

Ms. Pamela L. Meiser
*Library Information Teacher*

*Barbara B. Rose Elementary School*