[ISLMA-Share] rules for teachers

Wed Feb 15 06:36:31 CST 2017

I always believe you need to talk to the individual and not the group. Ask,
politely, but confidently, why the teacher is behind the circ desk, such as
is something needed behind the desk that should be moved, do they need a
"teacher" space when they bring in the class, do they want to be trained to
help during checkout time, etc.  Each teacher might have a different
reason, but to each one, an important reason.  As for the teacher who pulls
books, I'd tell her thanks, and then ask her to help re-shelve, as you
don't have time to do it all.  I'd also ask if there are particular books
she wants pulled, in case you are missing something she wants. Again, be
direct, but polite.  Sometimes they just don't understand why it bothers
you and you don't understand what they are trying to do.  Good Luck.

Carolyn Kinsella, District Librarian
Minooka Community High School
ckinsella at mchs.net

Central Campus
301 S. Wabena Ave.
Minooka, IL  60447
PH: 815-467-2140 ext. 5040

South Campus
26655 West Eames
Channahon, IL 60410
PH:  815-521-4217

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I have an interesting issue.  I have teachers who like to overstep the
> boundaries in the LMC.  Some feel it is ok for them to not only come behind
> the circulation desk but take a seat in front of the check out PC, blocking
> the ability to assist students.  A few even wander into our back office.
> Another feels the need to pull massive amounts of books off the shelves
> while I conduct book passes with books I already pulled for her class,
> leaving mountains of books to be reshelved.  Another often decides to
> overstay part way into a second period because she fails to arrive in the
> LMC on time.  I have posted signs that state the space behind the circ desk
> is for library staff only and yet it seems to only work with students.
>
> Do you have a set of rules for teachers?  How do you go about sharing them
> and still preserve an amicable relationship?  I would never walk into a
> teacher's classroom and do half the stuff some of them do in my class space.
>
> Thanks.

This message originates from Minooka Community High School District #111.
It contains information that is confidential or privileged and is intended
only for the individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone
else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. All
personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be
attributed to MCHS District #111, and may not be copied or distributed
without this disclaimer. If you received this message by mistake, please
notify us immediately at 815-521-4017