[ISLMA-Share] motivate readers

Thu Feb 23 12:40:58 CST 2017

Since we're the Bulldogs, I have what's called the Bulldog Best List.
BBBooks are books that students recommended to other students. The books
have a little paw sticker on the binding and their own display shelving.
The student who recommends the book then creates a 10 question quiz for
other kids to answer and I keep all quizzes in the big binder on my desk.
When a student reads a BBBook they come to me and I ask them 3 questions
from the pre-written quiz.  If they get them right, they get a sticker.
Stickers add up to prizes....I have over 136 books on the list and it
becomes difficult when managing stickers but so far I can create posters
where they write their name and keep track. I do from time to time remove
books and add new books and create new posters but my ideal would be to
keep the posters up and running all 3 years while their in middle
school....The BBBooks gives the students ownership and though participation
drops the most with my 8th graders racking up stickers, they still tend to
go to that shelf first when choosing a book to read.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> We are debating getting rid of Accelerated Reader for grades 6-8.  Would
> anyone like to share what happens in your library at the jr. high level?
>
> How can we motivate kids to read and hold them accountable without using
> AR as our source?
>
> We don´t want another computer program; we want them to want to read.  We
> want to promote a love of reading.  It seems that the love tends to
> deteriorate when they get into junior high.
>
> Does anyone have the magic cure?  ...or just some examples of things you
> do for jr. high students to excite them about reading...
>

> Shannon Swaney
> Librarian
> Williamsville CUSD #15
>
>    - Williamsville, Il 63693

Great first lines:
"There was a boy called Eustace Clarence Scrubb and he almost deserved it."
- Chronicles of Narnia