[ISLMA-Share] Genius Hour

Wed Jan 18 21:15:17 CST 2017

Hi Amy,

I actually teach a Genius Hour rotation at my 5/6 school in Homer Glen.  I
piloted it last year and this year I will have had 240 students having gone
through my class in the library.  I do 2 classes a day with 30 students
each, all working independently on their own passion project.

We start with a 2 week group project and the class decides the over arching
topic and then they research the subtopics and present to get through the
research process so they are ready to go off on their own.  Last quarter
one class did "Cryptids" (Bigfoot, Chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster...), this
quarter the decided on sports so they are doing everything from Football to
Cricket.

When we start the Genius Hour, first we define what that would be...what
makes a Genius Hour and how it is different from just a topic you can
google.  They brainstorm with a graphic organizer, create a proposal and
they, their parent or guardian and I sign off on it.  Then they start
researching and creating. Half way through they make part of their rubric
themselves.

The class runs about 8-9 weeks.  I have had kids create their own hockey
sticks, the worlds best chocolate cake, crocheting, building apps and video
games, an online family recipe book (my personal favorite with pictures of
their family and their prized recipes).  It has been an awesome experience.

If you want ANY of my materials, I don't mind sharing....and please feel
free to call me at Hadley Middle School in Homer Glen, (708) 226-7768.  I
would love to talk to you.

Good Luck and let me know how I can help!

Dawn

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library