[ISLMA-Share] Authority of District Librarian

Wed Mar 1 18:09:13 CST 2017

It's different for every school district and administration. In the
position I had, I didn't do any hiring or firing.  I also was not in charge
of their assessments. I believe that most assistants or aides report to the
building principal.  I also did not hold administrative certification, nor
is it required.  I wasn't even really considered as their supervisor. My
job description said to work as a team. However, I am just one person, I
would be interested to see if other district librarians were considered
"supervisors."

I think a good place to start is to look at the job description for that
position. If you don't have one, ask.

Also, I didn't have any authority in each school except just management of
the collection. Basically you get all the say so in executive decisions,
but definitely include your assistants or aides in on them because they are
the ones who know the kids better since they see them everyday and you may
not being in different buildings.

 I didn't mind not having that authority, but it did does put a very gray
line between the assistants and district librarians when it comes making
decisions or asking to work on certain tasks or projects.

- Former District Librarian

On Wed, Mar 1, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library