[ISLMA-Share] Persuasive book examples

Thu Oct 26 12:37:15 CDT 2017

I'm at a K-5 building. I always struggle when teachers come to me looking
for examples of author's purpose, specifically "persuasion." When I look on
the internet, some books are listed that I don't think the author's purpose
was persuasion. For example, Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus. I feel the
author is trying to entertain the audience, not persuade people to let
pigeons drive buses. There are other book examples that I feel the same way
about. I feel that many of the examples are about a character in the book
that is trying to persuade, not that the author is trying to persuade. I
tend to think of stories that are more fable based or about nonfiction
topics (global warming, endangered animals, recycling)

Do you feel the same way about this? Is there a litmus test for identifying
author's purpose?

--
Diane Kispert
LRC Director