[ISLMA-Share] From ALA: Keep the comments coming! Help defend WiFi funding!

Mon Oct 30 20:56:56 CDT 2017

Dear Illinois School Library Advocates--

The American Library Association through the ALA Washington Office is
requesting comments to be made in regards to federal funding of the E-Rate.
The original request was sent on Oct 19 while I was out of town so I missed
that one.

The request was for comments about Category 2 funding of the E-Rate. This
is funding that can be used to maintain and upgrade WiFi connectivity. It
is important that the FCC understand that this is important to libraries of
all types including school libraries.

Some of you may not be the person who writes the E-Rate grants for your
school and you may need to discuss this with your tech people who handle
the grants. It would be wonderful if we could get more school libraries to
work with their districts to make comments about this important funding.

All the information and the template are available for you to use and share
with your technology staff who do the grants. The deadline is coming up
soon--November 7.

The following is an update that was sent out recently requesting more
comments from libraries and certainly school districts and their libraries
are needed to respond.

Lou Ann Jacobs
ISLMA Legislation Advocate

[image: Take Action For Libraries]

Advocacy Alert: E-rate

[image: Library Funding]Kudos to the library community! Last week we asked
you to file comments with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to
show your support for WiFi funding in the E-rate program and at last count
over 140 comments were on record!

Didn't file? No worries. The FCC makes it easy for you to participate in
this very important proceeding. With the first deadline passed, we are now
in the "reply period" and you can do two things to add your voice:

   1. Use the template
   <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxvbcHtJdCXn4_xFtz_A9tWykKTOYvP0_UhPhbbEq58UMpcJkGY5ZBwEsEKVXpZ4sIJ1oRUCp6r17gyHfEBhfW5CSYdZPnbJO27fRI7WsNoJzzzzOhVH96LiyiDRLAvJlUwJ7WP35bG8J96wmnX8DZKchI_D5NHM6d_ZqEM5JCkR9orGRweyn4eynGMRVKe7lrJn_Vxdm1Z3Jy4IoZLQiGPoENySjbmRs5roxCi25joNA&lp=0>
   (doc) we provide to build your WiFi story and submit it
   <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxzuEgGQghQsGVkDLb9nl0EKUeU_NqHAe23RMiMY3piXQb7fWc7rK2w6CtB0ggXoUtm5PMptzG4ErkarXzQawCuCnif-__MqOiu1U3pZjchwIYqesZI_Pn3fB20G2yN5wgTdz6Miqj6zTZeoM5yUD1oA&lp=0>
   .
   2. Read the District Dispatch post
   <http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxeB091h91Kn5h43JIbaHJF-HpdxWGpJMktfY6cpKi5z2907b6YZhEgHKq31Tu11EeD7YZhXGXxqW2TNm_kaA7DJr8nTK1FTqyCGtA2VuP4BVjbQ-AF3_TCpis9MaZF1xDhHYyyOKG4yDsXbtVckASUZKwDQsYct2-TJxoTcPqPrPwAwtc0a_jpGaAfV1Cd4TL&lp=0>
   that highlights some library comments and the ALA comments and use the
   template to file in support of those.

Regardless of which you choose, we encourage you to tailor your message to
describe what is important to your community and which services your
library provides that depend on WiFi and strong internet access to meet
those needs. Does your library offer special programs that depend in WiFi?
Do you know a patron who comes in to use your WiFi to look for jobs or have
you seen a student doing homework on a tablet? These stories and examples
are critical for the FCC to know about! *The deadline to submit reply
comments is November 7, 2017.*

Read the District Dispatch post
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAx6FUJZa9B_5lX8wdH3P4UYmKIuEQKDkZHNjpb3sXpgbEqZRSgFQCNuk34rMBn90Aefbgl1SpVaueLRwCOpTXVlmRf65wS5CRUHCzbHirzmn47jWAOp4EEKa5G3w7wJgeymeAaTnjqt89PkDPqqWYU9pSq8FQ9dTkkT-CC5swf9XrWbrwVPUNNP4iCC2E9S8dvuK7jbMtixPR8YkGRbfJqDg&lp=0>
from last week for background on the Public Notice and the call to action.

*Contact Us*
ALA Washington Office
1615 New Hampshire Ave NW, 1st Floor
<https://maps.google.com/?q=1615+New+Hampshire+Ave+NW,+1st+Floor+%0D+Washington,+D.C.+20009&entry=gmail&source=g>
Washington, D.C. 20009-2520
Phone: 202-628-8410 <(202)%20628-8410> • Toll Free: 1-800-941-8478
<(800)%20941-8478> *Subscribe*
Ready to take action?
Subscribe to our Action Center.
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAx9VkrXNvayVQBCit3S9LcQQZQ65PyI6rPbNzmwsoBKS_0HXbHZd4Mp6YXwod13x7rHecRxQjL7op33Ly3TZL9Q_6JUhGAD_KPjR_G4nxjVmxjRBpB0y7GjAGsNb3MaRkG3gMy5lPjRONsgxQvaOcj_Q&lp=0>
------------------------------
[image: OGR logo]
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxe3nmtYcUdKdN-Rb-HBRMVw9-aQ0VwXC7_jsHg3-2Zzo_PBAxGr1ui0p0eWlDM5gfvm_78nTnariZHWj2SirmA_feGyuA7dubAK8nNL1w_jwBYluo1ri75qv7zGy9reQOQOek4BFEEoqmRzcXMPKJqQ&lp=0>
[image:
ALA logo]
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxLSE-Y6HQU7YVdBPXApjQoDWCdwZAmWwakEh1SnL3OW-oKn_oId7XoGSpe9MstjjmoEjrjVm6CM5NdizjSiGfcsNxzHU1YAM-rzL2pnfC5KRgAcai2s6By9tXwqXSpIBo&lp=0>
[image:
OITP logo]
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/thru?ep=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAx4JYHraKxvgQNvmaHDGwQd4PyoNSJSjGApwy3-ImnwxkdUAkYaTiG4U1LcEff26gxo2sXjNQM994ZkD2RHOx60ZxvhzKHH2JZnMrycRlkXIeBUQphXrjSrEp2FppQ1AhodP3dwp3AZi7SC4F27tv19A&lp=0>

Please unsubscribe below if you no longer wish to receive emails from the
ALA Washington Office.

Unsubscribe
<http://cqrcengage.com/ala/app/subscriptions?r=AAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAx9kXAFergPJ2RDaC7dK3SxE7gy2kM0hl7epMeE_-RAIk>

[image: Powered by CQRC Engage]