[ISLMA-Share] Proposed FY 2019 Budget Eliminates Federal Funds for Libraries

Tue Feb 13 12:21:32 CST 2018

Dear Friends--

ALA District Dispatch has published the following on their website --

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2018/02/white-house-budget-proposal-continues-to-miscalculate/#FundLibraries

n its FY2019 budget released today, the White House proposed eliminating
the Institute for Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and hundreds of
millions of dollars dedicated to America’s libraries through the Library
Services and Technology Act (LSTA). The decision echoes the FY 2018
proposal, which also eliminated the grant-making agency and its programs.
The administration’s budget also calls for elimination and/or severe cuts
to many other federal programs that support libraries, including Innovative
Approaches to Literacy, a Department of Education program.

The following statement was made by ALA President Jim Neal:

“The administration’s FY2019 budget is out of touch with the real needs of
Americans and the priorities of leaders in Congress who represent them. The
president miscalculates the value of more than 120,000 libraries across
America, just as he did in his FY2018 budget proposal.

“There is bipartisan support for libraries in Congress, where
decision-makers know that to cut funding for libraries is to undercut
opportunity for their constituents.

“Thanks to its Grants to States program, IMLS funding provides services
that benefit everyone in our communities, including:

   - Veterans in California who receive assistance claiming well-earned
   benefits to further their education, get medical treatment, start a
   business and transition to civilian life.
   - Students in Arkansas who prepare for today’s competitive job market by
   participating in coding classes taught by trained school and public
   librarians.
   - Entrepreneurs in rural North Carolina who received business
   development assistance from an IMLS-funded business and technology outreach
   librarian.
   - Adults in Kansas who take GED courses and use otherwise
   cost-prohibitive exam preparation tools to advance their education and
   improve career prospects.

“This administration’s new budget also decreases resources for children.
Cutting federal support for programs like Innovative Approaches to Literacy
comes at the cost of early literacy and improved student achievement,
especially in the most underserved areas of our nation.

“Withholding federal support for libraries means withholding services that
foster achievement, develop the workforce and contribute to local
economies. ALA members will continue to highlight the value of libraries to
our elected leaders in every U.S. congressional district. And we are
confident that our congressional leaders will continue to protect the
federal programs that invest in our communities.”

To take action, visit the ALA Action Center <http://ala.org/takeaction>.
You can also find additional resources at the Fund Libraries
<http://ala.org/fundlibraries> campaign page.

Lou Ann Jacobs

Legislation Advocacy

louajcbs at gmail.com