[ISLMA-Share] High School: Fake News

Thu Jan 11 10:54:59 CST 2018

[https://alapublishing.webex.com/alapublishing/onstage/downfile.php?USID=dbac50867cc131afe412967196c01ede&siteurl=alapublishing&rdmID=0.8481927300436846]

Thank you for attending the American Libraries Live webcast AL Live: Tackling Fake News on November 1, 2017 using WebEx.
You can access the archive of the webcast here<https://alapublishing.webex.com/alapublishing/lsr.php?RCID=2758c1bcd02147aba73d1296c8752d7f>. You can access and download the slides for the webcast here<https://www.slideshare.net/ALATechSource/american-libraries-live-tackling-fake-news-november-2017>.
Resources Mentioned and Suggested by Today’s Panelists

  *   Metaliteracy by Thomas P. Mackey and Trudi E. Jacobson
  *   The Organized Mind: Thinking Straight in the Age of Information Overload by Daniel J. Levitin
  *   The Filter Bubble: How the New Personalized Web is Changing What We Read and How We Think by Eli Pariser
  *   Deadly Decisions by Christopher Burns
  *   http://www.politifact.com/
  *   https://www.snopes.com/
  *   Fake News: A Library Resource Round-Up <http://programminglibrarian.org/articles/fake-news-library-round>
  *   Librarian Shares Tips for Being a Smarter News Consumer <https://soundcloud.com/21st-show/librarian-shares-a-critical-thinking-reading-list>
  *   Distinguishing Fake Vs. Real News: Librarians And Student Hackers Offer Help  <https://soundcloud.com/21st-show/the-battle-against-fake-news-on-facebook>
  *   Cooke, N. A. (2016, November 16). In the war on fake news, school librarians have a huge role to play <http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/13637294/school-libraries-information-literacy-fake-news-election-2016> [Interview by K. Tiffany]. In The Verge.
  *   Cooke, N. A. (2017). Posttruth, Truthiness, and Alternative Facts: Information Behavior and Critical Information Consumption for a New Age. The Library Quarterly, 87(3), 211-221.

More Information-Literacy Resources for Tackling Fake News<http://www.alastore.ala.org/fake>
In a time when fake news and alternative facts have seem to become norm, librarians and advocates are leading the way to teach students and patrons strategies to navigate through sources, social networks, and the media to discern truth from fiction. The American Library Association has several resources that can assist:
Books, LibGuides, and Reports

  *   Fake News and Alternative Facts: Information Literacy in a Post-Truth Era <http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=12121> by Nicole A. Cooke (save $5.00 with code FNAF18)*
  *   Library Technology Reports 53, no. 8 (Nov/Dec 2017) “ Combating Fake News in the Digital Age <http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=12290> ” by Joanna M. Burkhardt
  *   “Evaluating Information,” ALA LibGuide <http://libguides.ala.org/InformationEvaluation>

Posters, Bookmarks, and Displays

  *   Because Fake News Banner <http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=12148>
  *   Fact or Fiction Poster<http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=12127>
  *   Fact or Fiction Bookmark <http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=12128>

Professional Development Webinars & Courses

  *   Recording of today’s episode of American Libraries Live: Tackling Fake News <https://alapublishing.webex.com/alapublishing/onstage/playback.php?RCID=7a1ef2ec1cccbdc8e37f792567df893d> with Donald Barclay, Joanna M. Burkhardt, and Nicole A. Cooke
  *   Recording of Post-Truth: Fake News and a New Era of Information Literacy <http://www.ala.org/tools/programming/post-truth-fake-news-and-new-era-information-literacy>  with Nicole A. Cooke and offered by the Public Programs Office
  *   Fake News, Real Concerns: Developing Information Literate Students Workshop <http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=12075> with Donald Barclay (save 10% with coupon code NEWS10)*
  *   Introduction to Critical Information Literacy: Promoting Social Justice through Librarianship eCourse <http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=11958> with Dawn Stahura  (save 10% with coupon code NEWS10)*

*Coupon code NEWS10 is valid through Dec. 1, 2017. Coupon code FNAF18 is valid through Dec. 31, 2018. Coupons can be applied on top of the ALA Membership discount. Enter the coupon code during checkout or mention while ordering to receive the discount.