[ISLMA-Share] Job description - question for traveling librarians

Mon Jan 15 18:24:32 CST 2018

I am the district librarian for a 2 building high school district. Grades
9-10 are at South Campus and Grades 11-12 are at Central Campus for a total
of approximately 2800 students.  We are on a modified block schedule where
during a 2 day period students take 7 classes and 1 study hall.  This means
we have A and B days. Because of this, I work an AB block at one campus and
then an AB block at the other campus.  This allows me to teach classes, so
that if a teacher has English I classes on both an A and B day, I can book
talk for all the English I classes for that teacher. I do not received a
stipend for travel since I spend all day at one campus. but teachers who
travel during the day receive a stipend as per the contract. I have an
online calendar that states which campus I am at for the day and that
allows teachers to sign up to come to the library. If they want / need me
to work with a class it goes on the calendar.  I also ask them the email or
talk to me about the assignments. We are not a 1 to 1 district, so teachers
come to the library for computer use. There are 3 assistants who work in
the libraries, one at South full time, one at Central full time, and one
who mirrors my schedule so that there are always 2 adults in the library.
There are approximately 350 students in each library each day; this
includes students with classes and students from study halls. This is my
3rd year as the only librarian, and it is not easy.  I don't have the time
to get everything done. Please email me off list if you have any further
questions.

Carolyn Kinsella, District Librarian
Minooka Community High School
ckinsella at mchs.net

Central Campus
301 S. Wabena Ave.
Minooka, IL  60447
PH: 815-467-2140 ext. 5040

South Campus
26655 West Eames
Channahon, IL 60410
PH:  815-521-4217

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 3:52 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hello!
>
> I am looking for input from any librarians who currently travel between
> school buildings in your district.  I am most interested in those
> librarians who travel between like grade level buildings (for example from
> one high school to another high school in the same district), but input
> from all is appreciated.
>
>    - Were the travel specifications included in your job posting? - if so
>    would you be willing to share?
>    - How is travel defined in your current job description and/or
>    contract?
>    - Were you given a set travel schedule or do you make your own
>    schedule?
>    - Is your travel schedule fixed (are you at the same building(s) at
>    the same time every day each week)?
>    - If your traveling schedule is flexible, how do you determine when to
>    be where, and ensure that your time is split equally?
>

> Thank you in advance for sharing!
>
> Amy Walsh

This message originates from Minooka Community High School District #111.
It contains information that is confidential or privileged and is intended
only for the individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone
else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. All
personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be
attributed to MCHS District #111, and may not be copied or distributed
without this disclaimer. If you received this message by mistake, please
notify us immediately at 815-521-4017