[ISLMA-Share] Title help needed!

Thu Mar 1 10:33:33 CST 2018

This year's Bluestem nominee *Separate is Never Equal* is really well done.
It's a picture book, but goes into detail about the people and process of
integrating hispanic children into California public schools.

*Terrible Typhoid Mary: A True Story ofThe Deadliest Cook in America* is a
good read in general, but also discusses how Mary was treated differently
from the men who were found to be typhoid carriers. The men were re-trained
in non-food related jobs; Mary was incarcerated in a modern-day leper
colony for the rest of her life.

On Thu, Mar 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Good morning.
>
> I am putting together several outside reading lists for a teacher tackling
> the topic of injustice. She wants YA titles under two major categories:
>
> ·         Fear of the “Other”
>
> ·         Activism/Resistance
>

> I sub-categoried the “Other” one to include:
>
> ·         Race
>
> ·         Religion
>
> ·         Gender Identity/Sexuality
>
> ·         Feminism or Women
>

> Here’s my need. I have gone through all my fiction titles and placed as
> many as I can think of into each category, although there is so much
> intersectionality and mash-up in many of these books. Can you all help me
> brain storm your favorite YA titles that would fall into this category? The
> readers will be lower level but 10th and 11th graders so nothing too
> young, please.
>

> Thanks a million for helping my tired brain!
>

> *Kristen Rademacher*
>
> *Librarian*
>
> *Eco Club Director*
>
> *1 Book 1 Marist Director*
>
> *Marist High School <http://www.marist.net/academics/arclibrary/>*
>
> *773.881.5356 <(773)%20881-5356>*
>
> *@1Book1Marist*
>
> rademacher.kristen at marist.net
> <rademacher.kristen at marist.net%3cmailto:rademacher.kristen at marist.net>

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson, MLIS, Media Assistant
Avon Center School