[aisle] special programming for finals week?

Caitlin Greener caigre at d219.org
Thu Jan 9 09:11:14 CST 2020

The week before winter finals we do "Cocoa and Books," a marathon of book
talks in which we provide hot chocolate to the students. English classes
sign up to bring their students in, we book talk for them for a class
period, suggesting great winter break reads, and they get cocoa. It works
best with classes that already have an active independent reading
component.
We used to put out legos, puzzles, and coloring materials during each
finals week but now have those things available in a designated area all
year round.
Therapy dogs visit a day or two before exams begin, which is always very
popular. We partner with Rainbow Animal Assisted Therapy and a few of our
visiting doggos actually belong to teachers/staff. I suggest working with a
certified animal therapy organization as they will be trained to work with
students and insured to cover any issues.
We provide healthy snacks (usually just oranges and bananas) and a "food
table" where students are allowed to eat near the circulation desk. We are
able to monitor any messes made, and students who seldom eat breakfast get
some brain fuel.
One year we tried yoga sessions, but it was attended only by
teachers/staff.
We enforce absolute silence in the library during finals, providing the
only truly quiet study area in the whole building.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 8:43 AM Caroline Fox Anvick via AISLE <

> We do "De-Stress December" the week before finals. I had a person lead
> mindfulness meditation sessions during lunch and had some make and take
> crafts set out (students could make their own "stress balls" using balloons
> and flour, and origami book marks), tips posted around the room about
> minimizing stress and study tips provided by the school nurse and some
> teachers. Sometimes I put out big bowls of bubblegum since chewing gum can
> relieve stress. :) I set out coloring pages and crayons one year - this was
> such a huge hit that I now keep a supply of coloring sheets, colored
> pencils and markers permanently out for students to access. I really would
> like to get an emotional support dog to come in to visit, but never got
> around to organizing that. :) I think if you contact Petco, they have staff
> specifically trained to work with support animals and can bring them to
> schools.
> Good luck!
>
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 7:36 AM Confer, Mary Anne via AISLE <
>
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I'm wondering what sorts of special programming high school and middle
>> school librarians offer during finals week to support students.
>>
>> If you have ideas and examples of things that you've done in the past,
>> please let me know.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> MaryAnne Confer
>> Librarian and Writing Center Director
>> Pronouns: <https://www.glsen.org/article/pronouns-resource-educators>
>>  she/her
>> *lmsalibrary.weebly.com/ <https://lmsalibrary.weebly.com/>*
>> Writing Center appointment form
>> <http://lindblomwritingcenter.weebly.com/appointments.html>
>> Lindblom Math and Science Academy
>>

>> *Sept. - Dec. 2019 Statistics*
>>
>> 1417 items checked out
>>
>> 12,219 student library visits
>>
>> 75 Writing Center tutoring sessions
>>

>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/

*Caitlin Greener*
Librarian, Niles North High School
<https://north.niles-hs.libguides.com/friendly.php?s=nnlibrary>
847-626-2182
*  I'm reading:    I'm listening to:  Book Club is reading:*
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35356378-only-child>
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43723509-slay>
<https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/15839984-cruel-beauty>