[aisle] Media Literacy Lesson

Neha Thakkar nehathakkar114 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 10:35:01 CDT 2020

Hi all!

In this crazy era of not just a LOT of news, but of course, misinformation
as well, I'd like to share a real-life lesson. My father-in-law sent a
family group text with the info (screenshots attached). Go read the
medialit 1 and 2 please. =)

Read them? Ok...I showed them to 4th and asked them to read it.
Immediately, many started taking deep breaths, "checking" if they had it.
Then I showed the other message, and a lot of them got thirsty right away!

I think a good lesson would be to discuss how to read a message like this,
break down the fallacies, how to respond to these messages, and have them
write a message back to a friend using https://ifaketextmessage.com/. (I
attached my "text example". Who else would check her sources BUT Hermione
:o).

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Neha Thakkar   M.Ed, MLIS