[aisle] Lost book fees

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Mon Apr 26 14:27:21 CDT 2021

At my school, during the school year, I create a Lost Book Letter which
asks for lost book payment.  Parents often send cash or a check and I
deposit that in my Library Activity Fund and take care of updating my
circulation records. No problem.

Otherwise, I charge for lost books at the end of the year in our Skyward
program--meaning that the charge is generally paid in August when the
family pays for the new year's Registration fees. That money is collected
by the Unit Office, but it is coded as "Library Fine."  Then, at intervals
during the beginning of the year, I contact the Bookkeeper to see if any
Fines have been received during the Skyward Registration process.  She
tells me the names so that I can update the library circulation records and
she tells me the amounts and I spend the money to replace books -- being
VERY careful to work with her so that she knows that the funding is coming
from that Registration Fund and not my Library budget line.  I've found
that if I don't inquire about the collected money, then they don't let me
know that it is there.  So I always ASK and SPEND!  Yes, schools sometimes
have to keep monies in separate accounts, but as long as everyone is very
clear on what was charged, what was collected, and who gets to spend it, it
should work out. I've also had the Bookkeeper say, "I'm just going to
officially transfer this into your Budget Line."  So that works out well,
too.

Michelle Harris

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 1:59 PM Meyer, Gail via AISLE <

> I don’t want this to turn into a discussion about IF we should be charging
> fees – it’s more an administration question.
>

> If your fines and/or fees are collected by someone else in your building
> or district, do you ever see that money to buy replacement books?  Our
> bookstore can collect library fees for lost material, but if a student or
> parent pays the bookstore, I was told the money has to roll over into the
> general income fund and cannot be put into an account for the library to
> use to purchase new/replacement materials.  So a student can lose a book
> and pay, but I never get money to buy a new copy of the book.
>

> Is this just an odd policy my district has in place, or is this some sort
> of business/budgeting requirement school districts must follow?
>

> Gail Meyer, Librarian
>
> TF South High School, Lansing, IL
>
> gmeyer at tfd215.org
>
> 708.585.2197