[aisle] The Undefeated

Angela Florence aflorenc at molineschools.org
Mon Feb 8 08:53:48 CST 2021

I shared T*he Undefeated* this week via a Screencastify lesson for 2nd -5th
Grade. After watching a few of Kwame Alexander's interviews online, I
noticed he describes his poem as a "Love Letter to America." I shared this
description and a video of him reading to a group of kids. It was powerful
to hear the poem read in his own voice.

I featured the home pages of Kwame Alexander and Kadir Nelson.

I also asked my students to consider why this book won the Newbery Honor,
the Corretta Scott King, and Caldecott Medal.

Thank you to the Monarch and Bluestem Committee for the ideas shared in the
online resources for those registering for the Illinois Reader's Choice
Awards.

Angela

Angela Florence
School Librarian
Moline-Coal Valley Community Unit District 40
aflorenc at molineschools.org

Butterworth, Franklin and
Willard Elementary Schools

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 8:38 AM Christine Wilson via AISLE <