[aisle] ESL Bits?

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Wed Mar 17 15:42:28 CDT 2021

This site is completely illegal, regardless of Skip's posted disclaimers.
If teachers and libraries could simply post copyrighted works in their
entirety, we'd never buy anything ever again!  "I'm teaching this,
therefore it is Fair Use" is NOT a valid application of Fair Use or
copyright law.  I'm afraid Skip is incorrect in his interpretation of
U.S. Copyright law. We can't have whatever we want just because we're using
it for an "educational" reason.  If, however, Skip would use stories and
books that are in the public domain, the site would be perfectly fine.

I would encourage everyone to buy a copy of Carol Simpson's *Copyright for
Schools: A Practical Guide *(Linworth Books) because it answers SO MANY
copyright questions in simple language that a layperson can understand.  My
copy is older (4th edition), but worth its weight in gold!

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:57 AM Apra Mainardi via AISLE <

> In my previous district we had a School Improvement Coordinator tell our
> English teachers they could use this website while we were out during the
> shut down. I had an English teacher reach out to me because they wanted to
> be sure they were not violating copyright laws. I'm with you on this...this
> website is definitely a violation of copyright whether or not the students
> are ESL students. The message from "Skip" at the bottom of the homepage
> raises a lot of red flags..."*Skip is wholly responsible for this site
> and has all the credit or all the blame as the case may be.  *
> The sole purpose of this site is to help students improve their listening
> and reading comprehension of the English language.
> 'BITS English Language Learning' is completely non-profit and contains no
> advertising.
> "BITS" is an online-only site. No links for downloading items are
> available and none will be provided.
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 11:40 AM Melissa Lambert via AISLE <
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Has anyone ever used the site ESL Bits to give an entire class access to
>> audiobooks and ebooks? http://esl-bits.net/
>>
>> I have a teacher that wants to use it by posting it on his schoology page
>> so students can access it from home or school. We do not have enough print
>> copies of the class novel and it is not in the budget to order more. His
>> students are not ESL. They are mixed gen ed and special ed.
>>
>> Here is what they have listed on their website under copyright/legal
>> <http://esl-bits.net/advanced-listening/copyright2.html>.
>>
>> It still seems against copyright law to me. What do you think?
>> MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG
>>
>> https://www.aisled.org/
>

> --
> Apra Mainardi
> District Teacher-Librarian
> Winnebago High School
>
> This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above
> addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION
> WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any
> unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or
> copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly
> immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and take necessary
> steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of
> this transmission.MAILMAN_MIMEDEFANG

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4