[aisle] One to one next year

Michelle Harris harrism at husd4.org
Tue May 11 11:29:22 CDT 2021

Hi Kathy,
We've dealt with all of those issues and I think the key is to get everyone
on board with whatever decisions you make.  Having said that, here's what
we do (procedures which have evolved over 4 years):

1.  Students forget devices (we will have a limited number as loaners).  *We
no longer give loaners to kids who "forget".  Remarkably, when we stopped
giving out loaners, they remembered to bring them (or they only forgot
ONCE!) We only have loaners for those whose machines are being sent in for
repair.*
2.  Students have them but they aren't charged.  What do teachers do when
they run out of outlets? *We do NOT give out loaner chargers (oh boy, was
THAT a financial nightmare!)  Instead, students are expected to bring their
cords. If they forget, they should be able to borrow from a classmate for
an hour, otherwise, we have a "charging station" behind the library desk
with ONE cord from each of our different Chromebook models. We'll charge a
Chromebook for the student and they can come back for it in an hour. *
3.  When are they distributed?  The first couple of days of school?  *Both
of our buildings have a "Back to School" night when families can come in to
find their classrooms, meet the teachers, drop off their school supplies,
and pick up their Chromebooks.  This takes place one evening during the
week before school begins. Then that Chromebook is expected to be charged
and ready for the first day of school. *

*We have these policies in both our elementary and Jr./Sr. High school
buildings.  We also asked everyone to put "headphones or earbuds" on their
school supply list and the library no longer keeps those in stock either
(another financial nightmare). *

*Good luck with your rollout!!*

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 11:16 AM Kathy Wickline via AISLE <

> Hello!
> We are trying to think of all sorts of issues that might arise and how to
> handle them when our students all have chromebooks that they are to take
> home each day.  Currently, students who don't need them at home because
> they have devices at home leave them at school on carts.
>
> So how do teachers handle the following:
> 1.  Students forget devices (we will have a limited number as loaners).
> 2.  Students have them but they aren't charged.  What do teachers do when
> they run out of outlets?
> 3.  When are they distributed?  The first couple of days of school?
>
> Kathy Wickline
> Unity Junior High Librarian
> Tolono, IL
> wicklinek at unity.k12.il.us