[aisle] Appearances vs Reality Articles?

Tasha Squires tsquires at dg58.org
Thu Nov 11 09:16:23 CST 2021

Hi!

I might be missing the mark here, so please disregard if you know this
isn't what the teacher wants, but you might want to look at some instances
of hoaxes. Seems to me that would be showing how things are presented as an
illusion to reality. You could look at some famous hoaxes like the Piltdown
Man, the Fairy Ring girls and even the stone giant that Jim Murphy wrote
about in The Giant and How He Humbugged America.

If you are looking for more recent things, what about the guy that believed
the rumors about Hilary Clinton and went into Cosmic Pizza and shot it up
thinking he was rescuing kids. Or even with the Sandy Hook kids and the
crisis actors idea.

I'm sure there are other examples that I'm forgetting right now, but that
could be a place to start, if you think this might be what the teacher
could use.

Good luck!
Tasha

On Thu, Nov 11, 2021 at 5:43 AM Jennifer Bromann-Bender via AISLE <

> I have a teacher working on a unit about Frankenstein.  She wants articles
> about the theme of Appearances vs. Reality, but not literary criticism
> about this topic and the novel. They have to be articles just about the
> theme of appearances vs. reality to connect to the novel.  I found a
> couple, but there has to be more I am missing.  I tried to look for
> illusion vs reality and the social media angle and appearances are
> deceiving etc. , but I am not finding the right keywords.  Does anyone have
> any suggestions for keywords or examples to search or have you located
> information on this topic before? She wants to use our databases for this
> assignment.  We have Ebsco, Gale and JSTOR.  Thanks.
>
> Jennifer Bromann-Bender
> Librarian
> Lincoln-Way West High School
> 21701 S. Gougar Rd.
> New Lenox, IL 60451
> 815-717-3551
> jbromann-bender at lw210.org

Tasha Squires
O'Neill Middle School
School Librarian
tsquires at dg58.org
(630) 719-5815

Author of Library Partnerships: Making Connections Between School and
Public Libraries, 2009, Information Today, Inc.